The Utah State Legislature passed a law in 2000 requiring every public school in the state to establish a School Community Council at the school-site level (Utah Code. Section 53A-1a-108). Two years later the legislature passed a second bill mandating several changes in the duties, powers and membership of the School Community Councils in Utah. This law took effect July 1, 2002.
State law mandates that, “Each public school, in consultation with its local school board, shall establish a School Community Council at the school building level.” In accordance with state law each school in the Carbon School District has a School Community Council. Please check on the individual school websites or contact the school office for information on its School Community Council.
Duties of the Community Council include the following:
- Develop a School Improvement Plan
- Develop a School LAND Trust Program
- Assist in the development and implementation of a Staff Development Plan
- Develop a Child Access Routing Plan (elementary level only)
- Advise and make recommendations to school and District administrators and to the
School Board when appropriate
- Develop a Reading Achievement Plan (elementary level only)
- Create subcommittees and task forces as needed